Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pork Chops with Sauerkraut


Pork Chops and Sauerkraut has been a staple in my family for years. I think it was my Grandma Beverly's recipe or maybe her mother's, Great-Grandma Dorothy. The pork chops are first seared to add a flavorful brown crust, then piled with mounds of sauerkraut and popped in the oven. The flavor of the sauerkraut penetrates the pork, adding juiciness to the rather flavorless cut and tenderizing the lean meat. This pork literally falls apart at the touch of a fork.

When I was fourteen or fifteen I went down to my grandparent's house to spend the weekend with my aunt  while my grandparents went out of town. I was in charge of meals and had no idea what to make (and remember how I hated cooking at the age of fourteen?). My mom suggested this meal and gave me directions. I imagine the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Mom, I have a question. What do I make for dinner?"
Mom: "Oh....(much thinking)...how about pork and sauerkraut?"
Me: "What?? I've never made that! I don't even know how!"
Mom: "Well, I'll tell you. Sear the pork and then..."
Me: "Sear?!?! What does that mean? I don't know how to sear!"
Mom: "Just fry it in the pan with a little butter and season it with salt and pepper. Then dump the sauerkraut on top and add a little water...."
Me: "a little butter?!? a little water?!? how much is a little?!?"
Mom: "Oh, I don't know...maybe a tablespoon of butter and a half cup of water. I don't really measure. Then bake it for a few hours..."
Me: "A few?!? How long is a few?!? What if I burn it?!? I don't think I can do this!"

Needless to say, it came out great and my Aunt Connie was pleased. I was a little pleased as well. I think the only other thing I had ever made before was grilled cheese and that was made with supervision. It was a small accomplishment, especially considering that it really is difficult to mess up Pork and Sauerkraut, but it was nonetheless a grand achievement in my book. I was "on my own" and had made my first real supper. And it tasted great.

Now today, I have my own home, have learned to love to cook and have a wonderful husband who is very forgiving of mistakes and tries so very hard to dialogue about my meals, ("Well, hmm, yes...I think it does need more garlic!"). I've come pretty far from the inexperienced fourteen-year-old that was terrified of the mysterious world of cooking.

I would suggest serving Pork Chops & Sauerkraut with some kind of potato (like the recipe listed below), pumpkin muffins, homemade applesauce and veggies. 


Pork Chops with Sauerkraut
Serves 2 - 6
Total Time: About 3 hours (depending on method)

2 - 8 boneless pork chops
27 ounce can sauerkraut
water


Start by seasoning both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper. 


Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large dutch oven and sear the pork chops over high heat.


Your goal is not to cook them through, but to give them a nice rich color. Color = flavor. 

If your pan won't fit all the pork chops you want to make, simply sear in batches. 
Better to do more than one batch than overcrowd your pan.


Return the chops to the pan. Spread sauerkraut evenly over the chops, along with any juices 


Add a little bit of water, maybe half a cup, so that the chops don't burn as they cook. 

Now you are ready to slow-cook them. 

Oven Method:


Place dutch oven, covered, in a 325 degree oven for 2 - 3 hours, until chops are juicy and tender. 
Watch carefully that your chops don't go dry. Check every half hour or so to see if they need a little bit of water. You don't want them swimming in water, but just enough to keep them from burning on.

Stovetop Method:


After adding sauerkraut to the dutch oven, cover and leave the pot on the stovetop instead of placing in the oven. Cook for 3 hours on low. Take care, once again, to check often that the chops don't go dry. Add a little bit of water if you notice that they need it. 

Crockpot Method:

Sear chops on stovetop as directed above. Add sauerkraut to deglaze the pan (and get all that great flavor!) Then transfer chops, sauerkraut and any juice to your slow-cooker. Make sure that there is a small amount of liquid in the bottom. If not, add 1/4 cup of water. Cook for four hours on low, until chops are tender. 

Serve pork chops with mashed or lemon-garlic potatoes and applesauce.


Recipe from my mom. 

1 comment:

  1. mmm.mmm.mmm...this was yummy! Thanks for making such good food for me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete