Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Beef Orzo Stew


I really enjoyed college. I miss the classes, friendships, dorm life and hours of piano practice (yes, even that). One thing I do not miss is Chucks, the campus cafeteria. Those four years are probably the most mal-nourished of my life as I lived basically on cereal, pb&j and the occasional orange. As the countdown to the nearest break would slowly dwindle down, I would begin to dream of my favorite, mom-made meal. I would sigh as I stared down at yet another bagel and the carb-laden meal would magically begin to morph into delicious slices of beef, carmelized carrots, and roasted potatoes all slathered with an abundance of dark gravy and finished with a bowl of homemade applesauce on the side. The first meal my mom would always serve when I got home was roast beef. I lived for those meals.

Now that I am married, my diet is much more balanced, but roast beef still holds a special place in my heart. I now buy cheaper cuts of beef and make it in the crock pot, but this method, unfortunately, leaves me gravy-less and I never know what to do with the leftover meat and veggies. However, my mom sent me this recipe awhile ago and I have adapted it to make my own version of leftover-beef stew. It's easy, tasty, and doesn't require gravy. Plus, Brad said he liked it, so it's a winner in my book!

Beef Orzo Stew
Serves 4 - 6
Total Time: About 45 minutes

2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced fine
2 stalks celery chopped
1-2 carrots, diced (if you feel like you don't have enough leftover roasted carrots)
2 cloves garlic, minced
approx. 1 1/2 cups of leftover roast beef, diced

4 cups water
2 beef bouillon cubes (Minor's Beef Base is so much tastier if you can find it)
5 T. tomato paste or an 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup roasted onions (to taste), diced fine
scant 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
scant 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

2/3 cup orzo
about a cup of roasted potatoes, diced (or 2 fresh potatoes, peeled and cubed)
about 1/2 cup roasted carrots, diced (if you have them)


Saute onion, carrots and celery in oil in large Dutch Oven for 5 - 7 minutes, 
until veggies start to turn tender.


Add beef cubes and saute for another 1 - 2 minutes.


Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. 


Add water, bouillon cubes (or beef base), tomato paste (or sauce), basil, oregano and salt. 

Also, if you have leftover onions from your pot roast, mince them to a fine paste and also add at this point. 

Cover and simmer on low for 5 minutes.


Add orzo, cover and simmer again for 10 minutes.


Add potato cubes and cook until potatoes are tender and orzo is cooked, another 5 - 7 minutes.

Note: If you have leftover carrots and potatoes from your pot roast, then leave out the fresh carrots and potatoes and simply add your cubed, roasted vegetables when orzo is almost cooked. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes to warm up the roasted veggies, but no longer or they will turn to mush!

Season with salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite rolls.

The orzo will continue absorbing liquid, so stew will thicken after cooking. 
To heat up leftover stew on the stove, add a little water and a shake or two of salt to loosen texture. 

2 comments:

  1. Mmm! Looks delish! So does the roll ;) You're making me huuuungry.

    ReplyDelete