Friday, November 21, 2014

Corn Pudding


My parents came to visit last week. Since we were together (and won't be on Thanksgiving), we decided to do an early Thanksgiving feast. I'm not brave enough to tackle a turkey yet, so we did roast beef, complete with veggies and gravy. There was homemade applesauce and my Grammy's crescent rolls and dill pickles. Salad for my dad, pies for dessert and this corn pudding. 

It's a recipe my mom tweaked, using corn that we process and freeze ourselves. Many corn pudding recipes call for cornbread mix and cans of creamed corn. But this recipe uses simple, real ingredients that make all the difference in taste. Don't believe me? The proof is in the pudding. 

Corn Pudding
Serves 4 - 6
Total Time: Approximately 1 1/2 hours

3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
5 T. butter, melted
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 large quart of freezer corn


Beat the eggs.


Whisk the sugar, flour, salt and pepper together in a shallow bowl. 
Then whisk dry ingredients into the eggs until no chunks of flour remain.


Whisk in the butter.


Stir in the milk and cream. 

(You could also just use 2 cups of half-and-half.)


Fold in the corn. 


Pour into a shallow, 2-quart baking dish. 

A deeper dish makes it tricky to get the center baked, so a shallow dish is a must.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until pudding is golden and center is set 
(although it may remain a little jiggly!)


Recipe from my mom.

2 comments:

  1. Sara (Craig) ElgersmaNovember 22, 2014 at 12:01 PM

    Hi Heidi! I love your posts on here! This corn recipe came just in time as I was thinking the exact same thing about all those corn pudding recipes I was perusing out there. Question: how do you think this recipe would do if I mixed it up ahead of time and then let it sit for a couple of hours before baking it? Would it lose the air from all the whisking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! I'm so glad you enjoy my posts :) fun to see your name come up on here!

      I think the pudding should be ok if you mix it up ahead of time. The whisking is not so much to incorporate air as it is to mix in the flour. So I don't think that would be a problem. Maybe just give it a quick stir again before baking.

      Also, I know I said this in the recipe, but just to reiterate...a shallow baking pan works so much better. I baked this in a deep casserole dish and the center was really hard to cook, but it came out perfectly in my shallow dish. (Ps....you can always microwave it a little to set the center if you have trouble with that or are running short on time!)

      Delete