Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gingerbread


When most people hear the word "gingerbread" they probably think of little cinnamon-colored men, bedecked with red hots, frosting and sprinkles. They might also think of houses constructed of sturdy (or maybe not-so-sturdy), eatable walls that are carefully decorated with gumdrops and marshmallow men.
In my family, gingerbread is a spiced cake served (preferably) warm and topped with cool, whipped cream. It is the perfect fall dessert. On a chilly, autumn evening the warm cake seasoned with delicate hints of cinnamon, ginger and molasses is some of the best comfort food. It's always been one of my favorite desserts, mostly because it was my dad's favorite. Gingerbread brings a look of satisfied happiness on my dad's face that almost no other dessert can match. My Grammy made it for him all growing up. It's one of those treasured family recipes that will be passed on again and again. 



Gingerbread
This recipe is easily doubled.

1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup boiling water


First, set water on to boil while you measure out ingredients.
You only need 1/2 cup, but put more than that on to boil because some of the water will evaporate.


Whisk flour, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon and ginger together in a medium bowl.


Add egg.


And softened butter.


 And molasses.


Whisk together until blended.
(You'll need a stiff whisk, my flimsy one didn't manage well at all.)


Then, pour in boiling water and whisk carefully until blended.
Batter will be quite runny. 


Pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 pan (or favorite, similar sized dish!)


And pop in a 350 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes, 
until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 


Serve (preferably) warm with real whipped cream. 

A small note: I doubled my recipe, hence the two pans of gingerbread in the picture!



Whipped Cream
Please, promise me that if you make the Gingerbread you will also make whipped cream and not use Cool-Whip! It's just not the same with the fake stuff! Plus, whipped cream is EASY to make.

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar*
1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Combine ingredients and whip together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. 

*The above measurements are an approximation. I don't usually measure, but taste the cream as I'm whipping to see if it is sweet enough. 

2 comments:

  1. Somehow I missed this one! How did that happen? I subscribed to you, but I don't get an email when you post/I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Heidi. My usual gingerbread recipe calls for almost double the ingredients. Inevitably, I'm missing one of the necessary items, so I never get around to making it. I'll try it. ;) --Jess

    ReplyDelete