Friday, November 28, 2014

Wendy's Cranberry Salad


I met my mother-in-law before I even met my husband. I like to tease him that he stood me up on a double date to the amusement park, but he swears it doesn't count. Anyway, I met his parents for lunch that day and instantly felt comfortable. Such gracious people. 

Wendy Jo is a spunky women that raised four energetic boys---each two years apart, sporting dark hair, brown eyes and no shirts in summer. She's a tomboy at heart, happiest when she's outdoors, enjoying nature and sunshine. She even had a pet squirrel in high school. She holds onto material things loosely and people tightly. I've never seen her be anything but warm and loving to the people who filter through her home. When anything disquieting happens, she simply says, "I'll pray about that" and you know she is. 

The entire family gathered together for thanksgiving this year. Twelve people, down to the littlest newborn, arranged at a long table down the center of the living room. There was turkey and stuffing and sweet potatoes, the normal delicious fare. And this cranberry salad. A vibrant, crunchy side, filled with fruits and veggies and nuts. I've never had it anywhere else and look forward to it every thanksgiving we spend with Brad's side of the family. It reminds me of her---bright, sweet and chock-full of good things. 


Wendy's Cranberry Salad
Serves 8 - 10
Total Time: About 2 hours

3 oz. package of strawberry jello
12 oz. bag (1 1/2 cups) of cranberries, frozen 
1 1/2 stalks of celery (about 1 cup), roughly chopped
11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts
2 large red apples, chopped small, skin on
1 cup sugar, to taste


Prepare jello according to package directions. Refrigerate until soft-set. The box says this takes 30 minutes, but it definitely took longer for me. You want it to be jelled, but still gloppy. 


While the jello is jelling, you can prepare the other ingredients. 

Chop the frozen cranberries in a blender or food processor until finely ground. Stir the processed cranberries and sugar into a large bowl.  


Chop the celery into thin pieces. 


Roughly chop the nuts and slice the apple into chunks, skin on.


Stir the celery, nuts, apples and mandarin oranges into the cranberry mixture. 


When the jello is soft set and gloppy, gently fold it into cranberry mixture. 

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. 
May easily be doubled.


Recipe from my mother-in-law, Wendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment