Friday, May 2, 2014

Rice Pudding


My son was sick last week. The really sad kind of sick where he just hung in my arms, forehead hot with fever and cheek squished against my shoulder, snoring softly through his open mouth. The kind of sick where nothing gets done and its perfectly ok because the little one needs his mommy more than a clean house and a gourmet supper.

I remember being sick like this. Feeling hot and uncomfortable, everything hurting and wanting to just sleep and be better. My dad would bring home ginger ale, smooth the bangs from my sweaty brow and whisper low and quiet, "Daddy loves Heidi". I would lay my head in his lap, tightly clutching my blue puffalump and things would seem just a little bit better.

And then my mom would make rice pudding. She would slow-cook long grains of white rice in milk until the rice was plump and tender. The hour-long process was ever so slow to my child-mind, but oh-so-worth-it when mom would finally come into the room with a bowl, still warm and sprinkled with nutmeg. Sweet and satisfying, it meant that I was loved, looked after and that all would be right again tomorrow.



Rice Pudding
Serves 2 - 4

1/2 cup rice
1 cup water

3 1/2 cups whole milk, hot
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
ground nutmeg, for sprinkling on top


Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. 
Bring to a simmer and cook on low until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.


(Don't be dumb like me and use a small saucepan. 
Otherwise, you'll have to switch to a larger one when you add the milk!)


While rice is cooking, microwave milk for a few minutes until hot. 


Add hot milk and salt to the rice mixture. 
Cook on low, just simmering, for 30 - 45 minutes, until rice is done. 
It shouldn't have any crunch left at all, but you don't want them to be mushy either. 
(I did 30 minutes.)


Stir often because the pudding will develop this semi-gross "skin".
Just whisk in and it will dissolve.


Add sugar. Cook on low until thick and creamy, about 10 minutes. 


Sprinkle with nutmeg, to taste. 
(I like to stir a little in and then sprinkle a touch more on top).


Serve warm or cold, whichever you prefer! 
Keep refrigerated. 


Recipe from Great-Grandma Adams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment