Friday, April 25, 2014

How To: Scrambled Eggs


There's not much better than breakfast together on a warm and sunny Saturday, when the schedule is open and nothing presses for your attention but your cup of coffee.


One of my favorite things to make for breakfast is scrambled eggs, hash browns, toast and bacon, complete with orange juice for me and coffee for Brad. 


But scrambled eggs can be really gross. Dry, overcooked, rubbery. Unappetizing. 


So I thought I'd share my secrets for scrambled egg success. 

The two big ones....Use cream. Don't overcook. 

Eggs without any dairy in them are super eggy tasting and very yellow. Eggs with milk will weep, and you end up with eggs sitting in a puddle of whey. But cream....cream makes your scrambled eggs fluffy, delicate and decidedly not weepy. 



Scrambled Eggs
4 eggs
2 - 3 T. cream
salt and pepper to taste
a pat of butter, enough to coat the pan (about 1/2 T.)


I don't measure when I make this recipe. I just pour in the cream until it looks right. 
(I use 2 - 3 T. of cream for 4 eggs)
Obviously, if you make more than four eggs, you will need to add more cream and spices. 


Tools of the trade: a medium bowl, stiff whisk, medium frying pan and small spoon. 


Break your eggs into the bowl. 
I always take out those icky white strands because they gross me out, 
but you don't need to if they don't bother you. 


Whisk well. You want the eggs to be fully blended, 
otherwise, your finished product will have bits of cooked egg whites. 


Pour in the cream and whisk again. 


Add spices to taste. I do maybe 4 or 5 shakes of each. 


Melt the butter over medium low heat. Make sure the butter coats the entire pan, even up the sides. This will keep your eggs from sticking to the pan.


Pour eggs into the pan once the butter is melted and bubbling. 
(If your butter turns brown, it is starting to burn which will affect the taste of the eggs).


Cook the eggs over medium low, stirring often (almost constantly).
If I stop stirring, it's only for a few seconds to let the eggs cook. 
Keep your heat on the lower side, otherwise you risk overcooking.


Make sure to constantly run the spoon along the edge of the pan to loosen the egg from the pan. 


You really have to watch the eggs carefully, because they go from done to overdone in a split second. 
The eggs are done when they are slightly wet looking. 
I have to be careful, because I don't mean underdone, 
but the eggs should look fluffy and moist, not dry.

When you think the eggs are done, remove them from the pan immediately 
or they will continue to cook in the hot pan, resulting in overdone eggs. 


If the eggs start to get brown or if they start to smell really eggy, 
then they are overdone and most likely too dry. 

Serve with your favorite breakfast sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment