Friday, April 4, 2014

Beef Chili


I really don't like beans. 

Not pinto. Or Kidney. Or Lima. Or any of them. 

Yuck. 

My aversion to these legumes has always been problematic when it comes to chili. Most people will tell you that chili just isn't the same without the beans. 

In an effort to reform my ways, I've been trying to sneak beans into my diet without my mouth noticing. So far I've only succeeded with chili.

I started nobly, adding a whole can to my simmering pot. But after three spoonfuls, I was gagging and feeding the offending beans surreptitiously to my son. The texture was just too much. 

But I am happy to say that after much perseverance and many bowls of chili, I don't even notice them now and my stealth operations have ceased. I'm pretty sure I will never enjoy a bowl of baked beans (gag me) but I'm thankful for one dish at least that I enjoy with beans. 



Beef Chili
Serves 6 to 8

2 T. veggie oil
2 mediums onions, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 medium garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup chili powder
1 T. cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt

2 lbs (85% lean) ground beef
2  (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans 
                 (or 1 15 oz. can small red beans if you aren't a fan of beans, like me!)
1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (28 oz.) can tomato puree





Heat oil in large dutch oven and sauté onions, peppers, garlic and spices 
until veggies are softened, about 10 minutes.


Add 1 lb. of the beef...


...and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon or spatula.


Add the second pound of beef and cook likewise. 

(You could put both pounds in at once, but it's a little easier to do half at a time.)


Rinse the beans.


Stir the beans, diced tomatoes and tomato puree into the sautéed beef.


Simmer on low, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.


Remove the lid and simmer for 45 more minutes until chili is thick and beef is tender.
You will probably want to use a splatter guard!

Serve chili with your favorite toppings: 
lime wedges, diced fresh tomatoes, diced avocado, 
sliced scallions, chopped red onion, minced cilantro, 
sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese.

My favorites are cheese, avocado and sour cream. Delish. 






No comments:

Post a Comment