Thursday, September 15, 2011

How To Make Cucumber Sandwiches


My dad grew up with a garden. Not a small patch of summer veggies, but a garden, that was bigger than a lot of the lawns here in Philadelphia. Delicate rows of peas and beans. Monstrous heads of cabbage and cauliflower. Tomatoes. Long, twisting vines of squash, pumpkin and cucumber with bright yellow flowers. The potatoes had a patch all to themselves.

And sweet peas. My Grammy always had sweet peas. 

Needless to say, when you have a garden that big, your summer is ruled by it. Long, sunny days are spent tending the garden, picking produce and putting it up for the winter. The shelves are lined with sweet and dill pickles. The freezer groans with the weight of peas, blueberries, corn and applesauce. And lunches are full of vegetables.  

And so, the cucumber sandwich was born. I've never heard of this sandwich anywhere else. Perhaps my grandparents invented it. Or perhaps their parents or grandparents invented it and so they continued to eat it too. Or maybe it was born out of necessity....you have to do something when the garden is producing cukes out your ears!


Step 1: Spread mayo on bread



Step 2: Layer cukes on bread (Easiest if cukes are sliced lengthwise)



Step 3: You need two layers =)



Step 4: Sprinkle with salt and pepper....



...generously.



Step 5: Top with second piece of bread



Step 6: Eat!


6 comments:

  1. My mom used to make little tea sandwiches that were a bit like this when the girls had "tea" together. We soaked the cucumbers in vinegar water first (reminds me a little of pickling). We also usually mixed a little cream cheese, dill, and salt in with the mayo (evil, I know).

    I've heard of people putting paprika on the bread too. But I've never done this.

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) you know it is summer when you smell cukes in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I couldn't leave well enough alone (It's a Matzko thing). I had to look up these sandwiches since we also ate something similar. Turns out...the Steiners probably brought this recipe with them from the Highlands! Your version is very close to "authentic" English fare.

    http://thepauperedchef.com/2009/08/part-two-of-my-cucumber-sandwich-revenge-tea-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh...thank you for the history Jess! I just was reading the post from your link...apparently cucumber sandwiches are quite widespread. Never knew it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm haven't heard of mayo w/ cucumbers but we have cucumbers and cream cheese sandwiches. But that's more of a tea sandwich. LOVE cucumbers. Hm. I always thought you didn't like mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber --*shhhh* I don't!! Yeah....I don't actually like cuke sandwiches (because of the mayo, but I'm also not a huge fan of cucumbers either)....but they are something I've seen my dad's family eat my whole life so they hold a lot of sentimental value for me =)

    ReplyDelete