Friday, April 29, 2016

Peanut Butter Icing


When the candles have been blown out, and the birthday song has been sung, the cake that my mother-in-law invariably cuts into is chocolate with peanut butter icing. Before meeting my husband, I had never had peanut butter icing, so I didn't know the deliciousness that awaited me as I sat at his family's kitchen table, casually extending my waiting plate. As I happily consumed my first slathered piece, and eyed up another, I understood why this cake had become a family favorite. Soft and billowy, with a subtle richness, the icing mingles with deep chocolate flavor, creating a marriage of flavors reminiscent of a peanut butter cup.

My husband kindly had another birthday this week. Kinder still, he requested his family's old stand-by. And as we polished off the last two pieces, I couldn't help but be thankful for family traditions. 


Peanut Butter Icing
Makes enough icing for one 9 x 13 cake or one double layer cake.
Total time: 10 minutes

3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
3 cups powdered sugar
2 - 3 T. milk


Beat butter and peanut butter together with hand-held mixer until combined. 


Add the powdered sugar. Beat for 30 seconds until it begins to look dry and crumbly. Then add 1 - 2 tablespoons of milk. 


Add another tablespoon or two of milk and beat until sugar is all incorporated and icing is billowy and soft. It should be soft enough to spread without being runny. 


Spread icing onto your favorite cake (I highly suggest chocolate!)


Lick the bowl clean before serving cake! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment