Friday, March 18, 2016

Baked Haddock


I am ashamed to say, that even with the bit of New England blood running through my veins, I am not a fan of fish. Or any seafood, really. My sister, on the other hand, has fully inherited the seafood-loving gene and will happily down a plate of good fried shrimp or gobble up a lobster or two. Family trips to Maine invariably involve at least one seafood meal, whether it be a lobster feed or a visit to Captain Mike's in Brunswick. And there I sit, surrounded on all sides with my sad plate of chicken tenders. It's difficult with all of them oohing and ahhing all around me to enjoy my fried poultry. 

And so recently, I have decided to try and amend my ways. And of all the fish, haddock is the place to begin for seafood haters. 

I remember a baked haddock that my mom used to make when I was little. I used to like it, but shied away from it as a teen when my fish aversion grew. She got the recipe from her mother-in-law, my Grammy, and it is the epitome of a simple, New England dish. Like all simple dishes, it depends on the quality of your ingredients. A fresh haddock filet. A pint of cream. Some salt and pepper. And bread crumbs. 
And tonight when I nervously bit into a forkful of flaky fish, flavors from my childhood filled my mouth. I looked at my husband in surprise and delight as I eagerly took bite number two. I'm not sure that I will be cracking open a lobster or ordering a plate of shrimp anytime soon, but baked haddock will certainly be gracing my menu again in the near future. 

Baked Haddock
Serves 4
Total time: 30 minutes

1 lb fresh haddock filet (I have also used frozen) 
2 cups cream (or whole milk), approximately
2 T. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste


Start by washing your fish. 

If you are using frozen fish, make sure to thaw it completely. 

If you think your fish smells a little fishy, you can soak it in milk for a few hours to deodorize it. 


Place filet(s) in an oven proof dish and add enough cream to cover two-thirds of the fish.

If you buy a fresh filet that comes as a whole piece, there's no need to cut it in half. 
Just use a long pan that it will fit into. 

You can substitute milk instead of the cream, but it will taste better with cream!


Season the fish with salt and pepper and sprinkle a light layer of bread crumbs over the visible fish. 

Don't use a lot of bread crumbs or the crumbs will get soggy. 
You want just enough to season the fish and add a little texture.


Bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes, until filet flakes when poked with a fork and registers 145 degrees on an instant read thermometer. 

For the most accurate reading, insert the thermometer into the side of the thickest part of the filet.


Serve immediately. It pairs nicely with rice and a green veggie like broccoli or green beans.

Leftover fish and cream can be used to make fish chowder. 


Recipe from my Grammy, adapted slightly by my Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment