Friday, April 10, 2015

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip (or Raisin) Cookies


When it comes to baked goods, are you into raisins? Or chocolate chips? 

I'm a chocolate chipper, myself. 

I like raisins. Plain, by the hand. But can't say I'm a fan of them in my cookies. Give me ooey-gooey, chocolate any day. 

My mom started making these when I was in high school and they are one of my sister's favorites. They are pleasantly chewy due to the oats and they have just a hint of cinnamon. And the good thing about them is that they please both raisin and chocolate lovers. Just add whichever you prefer. 


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 4 dozen
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours

1 cup butter, slightly softened (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, scant
1/2 tsp. salt

3 cups oats (quick-cooking and old fashioned both work well)
1 cup chocolate chips (or nuts or raisins)


 In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar. 



It should take about 3 minutes.


Add eggs and vanilla.


Beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.


In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.


Add dry ingredients to the mixer and mix until combined, about 1 minute.



Stir in the oats.


And the chocolate chips.

Or raisins if you prefer. Or nuts. 


Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet, or one lined with parchment paper.

I always use parchment paper. It makes such great cookies.


Bake for 10 - 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Do not overbake or the cookies will be hard instead of pleasantly chewy.


Recipe from the lid of the Quaker Oats can.

No comments:

Post a Comment