Monday, October 13, 2014

Pumpkin Bread


I remember the first time that I had this bread. I think I was about eight or nine years old. We went to a friend's house for dinner after church. It must have been late fall or early winter because I remember it being cold outside. We all sat down to eat dinner and I nervously eyed what lay on the table. I tend to be a picky eater and always dreaded going to someone's house because I was afraid that I wouldn't like what they served. And when you are eight, such things are very important. 

That's when I spied the pumpkin bread in the basket across from me. Ah, here was something I knew that I liked. I don't remember much about the rest of the meal. I'm sure it was all tasty stuff. But I do remember I ate a lot of that bread. I think the hostess noticed too because she gave me the recipe before I left and I've been making it ever since. 



Pumpkin Bread
Makes 2 loaves

2 cups pumpkin
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup oil

3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg

2/3 cup water


Whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil.


Add pumpkin, canned is fine.


In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. 


Alternate the dry ingredients with the water into the pumpkin mixture.

So add:
1/3 of the dry ingredients. Mix
1/2 of the water. Mix
1/3 of the dry ingredients. Mix.
The rest of the water. Mix.
The rest of the dry ingredients. Mix.


Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours at 350 degrees, until a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean.


Cool completely before serving. 

I like to serve one loaf right away and freeze the second for later.


Recipe from Mary O.

No comments:

Post a Comment