Friday, October 3, 2014

Molasses Crinkles


There's nothing better than getting something in the mail from someone you love. Whether it's a letter, flowers to cheer a dreary day or a homemade treat when you're far away, it's nice to be remembered. 

This seemed to be especially true when I was in college. Package notifications always brought out expectant smiles and quickened my pace to the student center. 

I remember getting a package my freshman year from my Grammy. I opened the box to behold a Royal Dansk tin, royal blue and heavy. There was waxed paper peeping out from underneath the lid and it was chock-full of cookies. Not commercially made butter cookies, but homemade Molasses Crinkles. Grammy knew they were my favorite, and she always had them waiting when we went to Maine for Christmas. And so she made up a batch to send to Ohio to get me through the crazy end of the semester.

They were still chewy, filling my mouth with that heady spice, reminiscent of the holidays. I munched on cookie after cookie, accompanying late night papers and welcoming me back from class.  A little taste of family until I could get home to see them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These cookies are the only ones I make with margarine. I'm usually a 100% butter kinda gal, but these cookies are actually better with the fake stuff. Margarine helps them to stay chewy, while butter seems to make them crunchy. 

It's also really important to not over bake these cookies. I always think I should leave them in longer and then they end up being overdone. I've found that 1 T. of dough really only needs 8 minutes. But of course, you will have to experiment a little based on your oven. 

Molasses Crinkles
Makes about 60 cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses


Combine flour, baking soda, spices and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.


Cream together margarine and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.


Add egg and molasses.


Mix until combined, about 1 minute.


Add the dry ingredients.


Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.


Once chilled, heat oven to 375 degrees. 
Using 1 T. of dough, shape into balls and roll in sugar.

(If you use a larger amount, say 2 T. you might have to cook them a little longer)


Place 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
(Love my new enormous baking sheet. You can get so many cookies on at once!)


Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, depending on how chewy you like your cookies. 
10 minutes will make a crisper cookie. I tend toward 8 minutes because I like them chewy.

Cool for 1 minute on the tray and then remove to a wire rack to cool. 
Will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container.


Recipe from my Grammy.

No comments:

Post a Comment