Friday, July 18, 2014

Skillet Pizza


When I was newly married, my mom bought me a cookbook that specialized in recipes for two people. I was getting tired of recipes that made so much that we'd have leftovers for a week (and so was my husband) and I eagerly began scanning the cookbook for recipes. 

One of my early successes was this pizza and it's since become a family favorite. Browning the pizza in a skillet before popping it in the oven gives it a super crispy crust that we love. And it's super fast, just 3 minutes on the stovetop and 7 in the oven.

We love it so much, I'm pretty sure we will have to invest in another skillet as our family expands!


Skillet Pizza for Two 
(or one if you're hungry!)
Makes one 11-inch pizza

If you decide to make your own dough, make sure to add an hour lead time to your pizza making. You will need this time for the dough to rise)

2 T. olive oil
8 oz. pizza dough (click here for recipe)
1/2 cup pizza sauce (click here for recipe)
4 oz. shredded mozzarella (about a cup)
2 T. grated parmesan
a shake or two of oregano
a shake or two of garlic salt

(If you'd like other toppings, feel free to add, but add with a light hand or they will overwhelm your pizza)


I like to have everything ready to go before I begin this recipe.

Roll out your pizza dough (11 inches in diameter). Have sauce and ladle ready. Have cheese shredded. And make sure the spices are handy. 


Coat the bottom of a 12-inch skillet with the oil.


Lay rolled-out pizza dough in the pan.


Ladle sauce on your pizza and spread around. You only want to use about a half cup. Too much sauce and it will run off the pizza into the pan. 


Top with mozzarella and parmesan. Again, don't overload on cheese. 
Too much and it will melt right off.


Season with oregano and garlic salt.

Since the sauce is already garlicky, I go easy on the garlic salt. I like to put a little in my hand and then sprinkle it on from a foot or so above the pizza. It helps the garlic salt to distribute evenly so there's not a super garlicky, salty spot!


Now, turn your burner onto high (I put mine just under high) and cook the pizza dough until the bottom crust is lightly golden and the dough starts to puff a little. This will take about 3 - 4 minutes.

(If you like to live dangerously, you can cook your crust while you assemble your pizza. Just turn on the heat before laying the dough in the pan. Make sure to work quickly or the crust will burn. This is how I usually do it.)


Once crust is golden brown, throw pizza, skillet and all, into a 500 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and starting to brown. 

Don't forget when you take the skillet out to use a potholder. I have burned myself so many times, forgetting that the handle is hot!

(Note: make sure your skillet can go in a 500 degree oven. My skillet is only safe up to 350, so my cheese doesn't get quite as toasty as I would like, and I leave it in a little longer.)

Sometimes, if I want to make more than one pizza, I will transfer the pizza to a pizza stone in the oven (once I've browned it in the skillet) and then make a second pizza in the skillet.

Serve with a light, green salad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment