Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Penne in a Garlic-Cream Sauce


You can look in my fridge at any point in time and find cream. If cream is missing from my fridge, then you can find me making a quick trip to ShopRite to pick some up. Cream is about as essential to my fridge as milk is to anyone else's.

If I was on a desert island and could bring along one ingredient, I'd bring cream. Yes, I would.

Of course, I do have other essential ingredients. Butter. Salt, a close second. Fresh cloves of garlic (but not those jars of pre-minced stuff you find at the store). Parmesan cheese is present in many of my favorite recipes. But, I do believe cream tops the list.

Scrambled eggs are so much lighter with a good douse of cream.

Chowders are pleasantly thicker and richer with a cup of cream.

Pie crusts benefit through a glossy, nicely browned crispness that only comes from being coated with cream.

My husband is always stealing some for his coffee.

And I could not make my favorite, weeknight meal without it.

This meal, which my family simply calls, "Penne," is the meal I go to when I am completely out of ideas of what to make for dinner. It's pretty quick and oh, so delicious. It combines many of my essential ingredients...garlic, chicken broth, parmesan cheese and of course, cream.


"If you're afraid of butter, use cream!" ~ Julia Child



Penne in a Garlic-Cream Sauce
Serves 2 - 4
Total Time: 30 minutes

1 T. olive oil
2 T. onion, minced fine
1/2 tsp. salt (plus more to season)
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces penne (2 1/2 cups)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
5 oz. baby spinach (optional)
1 ounce Parmesan, grated (about 1/2 cup)...I usually do more


Mince onion. Bring oil to heat in a large saute pan. Add onion and salt to the pan and saute over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes.  


Add minced garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. 


Add penne, broth and cream. 


Bring to a boil. 


Cover and simmer on low until penne is tender, about 10 minutes. 


At this point, if you wish, add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. 

Then add parmesan and stir until melted. I am generous with the parmesan! You know you have added enough cheese when the sauce turns thick and creamy. 

Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

You can heat up leftovers by heating the penne in a saucepan with a little extra cream. Do not try heating in the microwave. The sauce will break and you will have greasy pasta for lunch.


5 comments:

  1. Now I understand why yours is better than mine. CREAM! I use milk in this recipe. Lacey has been saying that you use cream and I have been telling her she is wrong.

    Do you have a recipe for Humble Pie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh momma....you've been using MILK!!? shame shame =) NOW your penne will be as good as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha you two crack me up :) Love the Julia Child quote. Since you listed so many yummy things with cream, I thought I'd also add ~*ganache*~ In fact, I have become to intent on finding the best tasting cream that I have several times wished I had my own cow... I will definitely try this recipe in the next week or two :P Love ya Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooo.......ganache. Love that stuff. It always makes me think of you.... Yes, cream is good for so many things. I thought of custard (esp. for Boston Cream Pie) after I posted. We could go on forever about the yumminess of cream =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, you and your mom crack me up too!

    ReplyDelete