Friday, January 10, 2014

Buttermilk Pancakes or The Birth of a Family Tradition


It was one of those lazy Saturday mornings growing up. My maternal grandparents had come up for the day and we were enjoying a late breakfast on a sunny, weekend morning. Chairs were pushed slightly back from the table, bellies were patted with satisfaction and my sister and I listened to the low murmur of story-telling with an eagerness that comes with the hunger to be "grown-up." That moment where it's time to clean up but no one wants to hung in the air and a few ignored pancakes lay in the center of the table.

And then, "Thwap!"

A golden pancake hurtled through the air and landed squarely on the side of my dad's face.

In stunned silence we all turned, disbelieving, to look at my grandmother, who sat giggling in her chair and looking from face to face with her big, blue eyes. "Who, me?" they seemed to say.

In that moment, a family tradition was born. Now, hooting, hollering and hurtling pancakes wrap up the family togetherness we call Saturday morning.

So if you're ever invited over to our place for pancakes; take care. You've been warned!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few years ago, I was delighted to find a recipe for pancakes for TWO people. Even the smallest recipe on the back of most pancake mixes makes a ton of pancakes. This recipe is just right for Brad and I (although, if you or your husband eat a lot of pancakes, this might not be enough for you!)

This recipe uses an unusual ingredient, sour cream, which adds tang and a creaminess that I haven't tasted in any other recipe. I also like being able to make my own, "from scratch," without relying on a mix.

Buttermilk Pancakes
Makes 8 or 9 medium-sized pancakes
May be doubled

1 cup flour
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 T. sour cream (I have left this out without any detrimental effects)
2 T. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 large egg
1 tsp. or so of veggie oil (to grease the pan)


Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 


In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, sour cream, egg and melted butter.


Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. 
(Don't overmix....you don't want your pancakes to be tough!)

Let your batter rest for 10 minutes. 
I usually use this time to heat up my pan (make sure to grease it with a little oil) or make bacon!


Using a 1/4 cup measure, portion batter onto hot skillet. 
(If you like blueberries or chocolate chips in your pancakes, 
drop them into your pancakes now, before flipping.) 
Cook until edges are set and batter begins to bubble.


Flip!

If you so choose, you can set your pancakes on a wire rack in a 200 degree oven
 to keep them warm while you make more. 


Heavenly.


PS - REAL maple syrup is just SO good.

Recipe from: Cooking for Two 2010

1 comment:

  1. I love how you write your stories to go with recipes Heidi. This is what I look for in vintage cookbooks when browsing in antique shops. I think you inherited the wordsmith trait from your mom! And the vision of a pancake "thwaping" on the side of Howard Fraser's face is the best :-) (sorry Howard...but it's really funny)

    ReplyDelete