Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Apple Crumble


The last few, dog days of summer always seem to be oppressive ones that suck your energy and sap your strength. Even the slightest tasks cause beads of sweat to break out on your forehead and cooking anything becomes border-line torture. I do not enjoy these days.

But then the weather turns. You wake one morning to find a slight chill in the air, and the days have a crispness to them that the sultry summer lacked. A welcome breeze blows through the open window and flames of orange and red begin to lick the edges of once verdant leaves. Spending time outdoors becomes more of a delight than a burden and cinnamony thoughts begin to present themselves.

About this time, I begin to get the itch to visit my favorite orchard. Rows upon rows of apple trees...familiar names that breathe memories into my mind. Cortland, Paula Red, McCoun, Empire. Apple picking has always been a big deal in my family. I remember as a little girl, donning a cozy jacket and rain boots, to go to Beak & Skiff to pick apples. We'd take a ride on the farm's tractor before being dropped off at just the right row. I'd tote my white bag around and pick only the "best" apples to fill the plastic folds, sampling one or two along the way, of course.

I still love my annual visit to the orchard. My favorite place is about an hour away, so it's a bit of a trek, but the time passes quickly as I weave through the country, passing one farm after another. Country is in my blood, so I love every chance I get to smell the open air and see nothing but trees and grass. My friends laugh, because apple picking is serious business for me. I get a lot of apples. I need enough to make applesauce to last the entire year, plus some extra for pies and eating.

And for Apple Crumble. Most know this dish by its more familiar name, Apple Crisp. But in my family, it's always been Apple Crumble. Sweet apples cook down into a saucy texture, lovingly dusted with generous amounts of sugar and cinnamon, while a mixture of butter and flour is crumbled over the top, adding that little bit of crunch. It's one of my favorites. And when that sweet smell of apples breaking down into cinnamony loveliness begins to pervade my home, you know that Summer is a thing of the past and Fall is finally here.

Apple Crumble
Makes one 9" x 13" pan

 6 - 7 large apples, peeled and quartered (My favorites are Cortland or McCoun. McIntosh will work well too)

For Filling:
1 1/4 cups sugar (or less if your apples are really sweet)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 T. flour
1 cup water, scant

For Topping:
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Cut up (peel and quarter) enough apples to fill a 9 x 13 pan halfway full. This is usually 6 - 7 apples, depending on size. I like to use softer, sweeter apples that will break down and get saucy. Tart or hard apples, like the ever-popular Granny Smith, will keep their shape and need more sugar. (I almost never bake with Granny Smiths....I love me some sweetness =)


Mix the filling together: sugar, cinnamon and flour. 
Sprinkle evenly over the apples.


Then, pour water over the apples.


Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. 
Apples will be soft, while still holding their shape.


While apples are baking, mix together the flour, sugar and butter (I usually sprinkle a little more cinnamon in there too!) The mixture will resemble play-doh. 


When apples come out of the oven, crumble topping over the hot apples. You will have to break up the topping into small pieces with your fingers. This is the fun part =)

Don't forget to sprinkle a little more cinnamon over top the filling. 


Bake for another 30 minutes, or until apples have broken down and topping is nicely browned. 

This is best warm and served with vanilla ice cream!

Recipe from: My Grammy

1 comment:

  1. Oooohhhh, thanks for posting this recipe! I like the topping so much better without the oatmeal!! Baking in the oven right now!

    ReplyDelete