Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Smoothies



Lunchtime is always hard for me.

Noontime rolls around and my stomach begins to knot itself, sending those hunger signals to my brain.

I put it off a little longer and soon it's one o'clock....two o'clock.....And then I'm rushing around trying to eat lunch at half past two before I rush out the door for work.

Needless to say, my lunchtime routine requires a little revamping.

My sister came to visit for the weekend. We had a great time, staying up until 4 am talking, painting our toes and watching My Fair Lady. One of the best things we did though, was make smoothies.

A few berries, some almond milk, yogurt and a touch of sugar and you have a delicious treat that will perk up any lunch!


Fruit Smoothie
Makes about 2 cups

Note: All of these measurements are approximate depending on the flavor/sweetness of your berries and the thickness that you like. These measurements are more of a suggestion than a hard and fast rule. 

1 1/2 cups frozen berries/fruit (this ended up being 7-8 very big strawberries for me)

3/4 to 1 cup almond milk (almond milk has 50% more calcium than regular milk)

3/4 cup vanilla yogurt 

sugar (I don't add any sugar, but you may if you like your smoothies sweeter!)

Puree yogurt and almond milk together in a blender. Add frozen berries and puree until berries are completely incorporated. Add more milk depending on desired thickness. Add sugar to taste.



3 comments:

  1. Im glad that these brighten your day so much. I am going to go make my Raspberry/strawberry version right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super interesting heidi! good to know about the addition of almond milk for extra calcium.

    ReplyDelete